A very dear person and friend is having a bit of a difficult time of late. Things just haven't been going her way at all. It seems every turn she makes ends up at a dead end, and in totally the opposite direction than she expected. It's one of those times when it is difficult to even find any uplifting or encouraging words to say! I decided the best thing to do was to make her a card that will tell her I am certainly thinking about her a lot, praying for her, and wishing I could talk directly to the "Big Guy" to ask for immediate help and relief.
I went to a cardmaking event in March of this year, before my spring trip to California to visit family. Our hostess and card designer was Liz Thayer, a Stampin' Up demonstrator, whom I know I have mentioned several times on my blog. All of the cards we were to make were from the Stampin' Up Sale-A-Bration event going on at that time. I confess that any time I have to use wood-block stamps, I have trouble. I just can not get them positioned correctly because I can not tell where the image is going to end up on my paper and can not get the angle correct; therefore, I end up making a MESS! This is what happened with this card that I finished today for my friend. At the March event, we were to make two identical cards from each of six designs. I decided to take my MESS home to see what repairs I could make as I had the stamp set in the clear version, which would make it a bit easier for me!
Since I ruined most of its parts, including the top flower layer, I decided I might as well do a little tweaking. If you read my blog often, you know I am not overly fond of A2 size cards (4-1/4" x 5-1/2"); I like them to be a bit larger. I had to re-cut almost all of the card parts from scratch, so, I decided to remodel its size and also add another brown mat layer closest to the vanilla cardbase. Embossing the middle vanilla layer was a bit of a challenge because it was wider than the embossing folder. It's not perfect, but I think it turned out okay since the few flaws are buried under the top two layers. I'm going to have to read up to see if there is a technique to do this because I'm sure I was not doing it the best or easiest way! I added another popped flower, a layered sentiment, a butterfly, and re-positioned my ribbon knot.
My finished card is 5-1/4" x 5-1/4". . .surprise. . .a square card. . .one of my favorite shapes and sizes for my cards! All in all, I am pretty happy with my card's evolution and finished look. I designed and embellished the inside to fit theme of the front and added a computer-made verse (Font: Coneria Script Demo-15) as well. Thank you, Liz, for your card design idea. I hope my friend likes her card and its message is "spot on."
Recipe: SU stamp: Bloomin' Marvelous (SAB stamp). SU papers: Very Vanilla cs, Chocolate Chip cs. SU Ink: Primrose Petals; Always Artichoke; Soft Suede (distressing). Lacy Brocade Embossing Folder. SU Punches: Modern Label; Word Window. Martha Stewart 3-in-1 Butterfly punch. Primrose Petals Stitched Satin ribbon. Computer-made sentiment.