My oldest son's girl friend has a birthday in early November, which I just found out the actual date. Hmm....could this possibly mean I'm late? So, into my card stash I went hoping to find one completed that might be turned into a belated birthday card, and I found a little gem that I thought would work (see my story and assembly instructions at the bottom). Take a peek below at my finished card. I think Katrina will like her birthday card even though it will be much belated!
I started this card at a Stampin' Up card event hosted by Liz Thayer in early 2013. When I looked at the kit picture, I knew it would be perfect! This card was the last of two cards that were to made with the same design, and though this second card was not complete, it was doable in my short timeline. (I thank Liz Thayer for the original card design used as a jumping off point for my card.)
As I favor cards that are larger than the standard A2 size (4-1/2" x 5-1/2"), I decided to enlarge my card parts before I assembled the card. I also decided to change its orientation from a top-fold landscape card to a side-fold portrait card and to make my cardbase a 5-1/4" square with five layers. I proceeded to make each card layer larger than the original design to fit my new and larger square cardbase. Another decision was to add a Chocolate Chip brown mat layer between the vanilla cardbase and the vanilla embossed layer, sizing them as follows: vanilla cardbase = 5-1/4" square; Chocolate Chip mat = 5" square, and vanilla embossed layer = 4-3/4" square. I planned to "picture framed" the top two layers, and their sizes are as follows: Chocolate Chip bottom mat = 4-1/4" square and top vanilla layer = 4" square.
After cutting my papers to size, I embossed the 4-3/4" vanilla layer with the Lacy Brocade folder and my Big Shot. I heavily sponged and distressed its top embossed surface of with Soft Suede ink, followed by distressing and sponging the edges of all card layers, including the edges of the cardbase front. The 4" top vanilla layer is also sponged on its surface around the edges, leaving the center unsponged (see picture). Now, I was ready to adhere the bottom three layers in this order: 5" square Chocolate Chip mat adhered to vanilla cardbase; 4-3/4" embossed layer adhered to Chocolate Chip mat. Set aside.
My top 4" vanilla layer will host three popped, fussy-cut flowers instead of two, as I think combinations of odd numbers are more pleasing to the eye than even numbers. I also decided the flower placement would be more top-centered because of the change in the card orientation and its square dimension. My next step was to stamp my leaves onto my top vanilla layer (see picture for placement), After stamping, I adhered my top two card front layers together: the 4" vanilla and the 4-1/4" Chocolate Chip.
Onto a scrap of vanilla cardstock, I stamped seven Bloomin' Marvelous flowers with Primrose Petals ink, fussy-cut each, and topped each with a pearl. I will use three flowers on the card front and four inside as verse embellishments. Before finishing the layout and assembly of the flowers onto the card face, I needed to decide on the placement of the ribbon knot. With my finished design in mind, I decided the knot should be toward the left side, allowing space for my sentiment, which would be popped up toward the right side just below the flowers and above the ribbon. I adhered the ribbon to the top two card front layers, which allows the ribbon's raw ends to be "buried" behind the brown mat so they are hidden underneath. Now, it was time to pop this layer onto my three adhered bottom layers that I had set aside in paragraph three of my "story" above. Now that all layers are completely adhered together, I can finish the card face, adding all the remaining elements to its top surface. I arranged the fussy-cut flowers in a threesome and popped them up around the already stamped leaves.
For additional interest, I decided to add tiny layered butterflies. On a piece of scrap vanilla, I stamped various designs, using various patterned flowers and butterfly stamps in my stash with Primrose Petals (ret.) and Always Artichoke ink. I allowed the ink to dry, and then punched out six tiny butterflies from these stamped patterns. I made three sets of two-layered butterflies, using alternate colors and patterns. I adhered them together down their narrow centers only, leaving their wings free, and added two tiny seed pearls down this center for their bodies (see picture above). These butterflies were popped up around the flowers, allowing room for my popped sentiment, which I would add after I printed it from my computer and Chocolate Chip matted layer punched with Stampin' Up's Modern Labels punch (retired).
My final step was to create an interior design that complimented the card front, and to create a sentiment and verse using my computer that were suitable for the occasion at hand.