My first two cards and first birthdays for the 2015 year will be masculine cards! My husband's two brothers celebrate their birthday on the same day ~ January 5th ~ though one has been celebrating his birthday several years longer than the other. No, they are not twins!
For the first card, I will be using a stamp set that is one of the first that I ever purchased from Stampin' Up and is four years old, is now retired, and I have never used it! Wow. . .now that is terrible, because I actually really like this set called Totally Tools. It, however, was only available in wood stamps, and I do not like to work with wood stamps, because I have a terrible time getting my image lined up exactly where I want it. Do you suppose this is why I took so long to use it?
I was going to make a antique automobile card for Joe, because he builds antique cars, but I could not find the right image to fit his 1949 Chevy Business Coupe, so I just couldn't get my creative mojo going. As you can tell, this gentleman is very handy with tools, so my mind went in that direction when I remembered the Totally Tools stamp set.
I pulled out the set, and then I promptly looked for some Pinterest directions on how to unmount your wood block stamps to turn them into clear-mount stamps. There are several different directions out there, but I went with the one that microwaves the stamp/block for about 10 seconds. This loosens the glue on both the foam mounting and the acrylic images that are mounted on either side of your wooden block. After peeling both off, gently, there is still enough sticky to adhere the acrylic to the stamp foam and trim off the excess acrylic that probably is hanging over the edges of the foam. No need to separate the rubber from the foam and then have to remount the rubber onto new (and expensive) foam. To get your now foam stamp to adhere to your acrylic block, the directions I found indicated to sparingly use Tombow glue on the acrylic, smoothing with a foam brush or your finger and let dry for one to two hours. Then, tap it on your jean-covered leg to remove the excess stickiness, and you are now ready to use your new foam-mounted clear stamp. I did not follow these glue instructions, as I usually place two-side, removable poster tape on my clear stamps to keep them from falling off the acrylic block when used.
My card uses mustache paper as Joe has that bit of facial hair. I used a dotted embossing folder on the circle which holds the tools to represent pegboard, which is often used on a garage wall to hang tools from. I thought that made it a bit more authentic. I colored my tools with Copic markers to coordinate with the copper-colored foil paper used and fussy-cut them out when finished. I'm pretty please with my results, and I hope Joe enjoys his card.
Recipe: SU Basic Black cs (base), Kraft cs. Echo Park Times & Seasons/ Spffy Mustache. DCWV Cardstock Stack: Foiled/ Copper. DCWV Everyday Essentials/ Gold Grid. SU stamps: Totally Tools. TPC Studio stamps: Greetings. Memento Tuxedo Black Ink. Dies: Spellbinders/ Circles LG; Lifestyles/ Nesting Circles. Sizzix Medium Dot Embossing Folder. Copic markers. Colorbox Chestnut Roam distressing/ sponging. Size: 5-1/2" square.