My brother's wife, and my sister-in-law, recently had surgery. All reports are that everything went very well. She is recovering nicely and has even returned to work part-time. She does have several months of further medical procedures, so it will be awhile before she is totally back to where we would like to see her.
I have to tell you, since Christmas, I have been slow to get back in the cardmaking saddle, and I seem to be running behind with everything. Just so is Diane's get well card, which will now be a thinking of you and continue on the road to recovery card. I will try to be better about getting a little card dropped in the mail throughout the coming months as well!
So, I'm sitting here at my craft table and what to do? I started surfing the Pinterest "network" to see what might inspire me. I thought I'd like to do a gatefold card or something a bit more interesting. I remembered seeing ones that used an interlocking closure with nested layers of framelits, but couldn't remember how that was done. I did a search on various sites for ideas, and found numerous cards and ideas. I liked the look of using the Stampin' Up Labels framelits better than most other shapes. My search also jarred a memory, way back when, of seeing a card done with music paper in pinks and blacks. . .a lovely combination.
I made my card using the interlocking Labels framelits as shown on one of the Pinterest cards found. Away I went, colors and ideas in hand. When I finished, it looked really great when closed, but was difficult to open. I felt like I was going to tear the cardstock when trying to open it. I figured if I felt that way, Diane would be afraid to read the verse inside for fear of ruining it. Not good!
I decided the card would look just as good with a flap-type closure, and I have actually made this style in the past several times, but without nested die-cuts. I did a little cutting on my third pink layer and a little gluing. It now has two bottom die-cut layers cut through the middle and attached identically on each side of the card front and meeting in the center. The two smaller top layers are adhered to the cardbase only on the right side and are loose on the left side forming the closure flap over the center gatefold.
To finished off my card and fussy it up a bit, I added some elegant butterflies using several types and sizes with a vellum overlay on floral stamped butterflies and pearls. I was pretty pleased with the finished product.
And a peak at the inside complete with verse.
Recipe: Stampin' Up papers: Pink Pirouette cs, Basic Black cs, Very Vanilla cs, Vellum, Modern Medley dsp. Stampin' Up Stamps: A Little Greeting (sentiment), Papillon Potpourri (butterfly underlays). Stampin' Up Ink: Pink Pirouette. Memento: Tuxedo Black. Stampin' Up Dies/ Punches: Labels framelits, Elegant Butterfly. Martha Stewart Punch: Three Butterflies. Stampin' Up Pearls. Inside: EK punch: Victorian Corners. Size: 4-3/4" x 6".