My youngest daughter, Jackie, is getting married in January. Sister, Michele, and sister-in-law, Ginger, are planning a shower in November. One of Ginger's tasks was to decide on the invitations. She thought it might be just the thing to make homemade invitations. As the cardmaker in the family, I was invited to participate.
Jackie's wedding colors are black and red, and the "daughters" decided they would follow her colors for the shower theme; thus, the invitations would be black and red as well. Ginger did quite a bit of research on the web looking at different invitation ideas, but as she has not joined Pinterest, she had no idea what she was missing! She found lots ready-made card ideas that she thought looked nice, and her search helped her decide that she wanted to incorporate black and white damask paper and perhaps some red glitter paper. She sent me several pictures of ready-made invitations that she found of both inside and outside designs. Her favorite had a bouffant wedding dress on the front and she liked a ribbon band under the invite information on the inside. She had the idea of the card front meeting in the middle with the bride dress opening on one side in order to see the inside invite. What she described was a gate-fold card, and it would be easy enough to incorporate that idea. At this point she turned it over to me to come up with some design ideas.
Over the past few years, I had seen several dress cards using a folded doily, and I thought that might be a good idea, so I went searching on line for some cards incorporating that idea to refresh my memory and also to find a tutorial on how to fold the doily for my wedding dress idea. The tutorial that I settled on is by Angie Gittles: Paper, Paws, Etc. (dated 5/6/12). I did some modifications to Angie's instructions, because she uses a 4-inch doily for her dress. I decided that since my dress was a long wedding dress, that a 6.5-inch doily might be better, and I must say it turned out to be perfect. I also modified my bodice attachment by not leaving the skirt point down, but using it as part of the anchor for the bodice attachment. I also trimmed my bodice straight on the bottom and placed it on the front of the skirt over the point because I planned to use a red ribbon sash, which would bury any cut edges. I also drew a template of the finished dress onto white cardstock and fussy-cut it out to be adhered over the back side of my dress to hide any raw paper edges and the ribbon sash attachment that would show when it was placed on the gate fold, as part of the back side of the dress shows when the card is opened (how much depends on the angle or amount that overlaps on the opening side).
Though I had a few pieces of black and white damask paper, I did not have enough to make 14 invitations...so shopping I did go! I was truly surprised at how few pieces of black and white damask there were to choose from, but I did finally find a pattern at Michael's that I thought would be okay. At first I thought the pattern might be too large, but actually, when the card was finished, I decided it was more than okay!
Ginger, Michele, and I spent the following Saturday making our shower card invitations, and we were totally pleased with the outcome. We all loved the bit of red glitter paper used and also the cute little sentiment, He popped the question!, which wasanswered on the inside with, And she said yes!
This is the finished inside invitation to coordinate with the outside design. We were very pleased with the outcome! (Note: for privacy, I have overlaid a substitute inside without the address or email account.)
Recipe: SU cardstock: Basic Black, Real Red, Whisper White, Red Glimmer. Recollections: Hollywood & Vine Swing Time. Recollections 6.5-inch White Doilies. Offray 1/4" red satin ribbon. SU punches: Full Heart (retired), Artisan Label (retired). EK punch: Scalloped Scallops Border.